We are back to addressing symptoms of the sickness season with Homeopathic remedies for headaches and migraines today. Although headaches and migraines can strike at any time, this time of year seems to bring them out in full force.
Finding Homeopathic Remedies for Headaches and Migraines
Homeopathy shines so brightly when it comes to addressing acute ailments gently and effectively. (It does the same for chronic illness, but the process is longer and more involved, of course.) When it comes to headaches, however, finding the right Homeopathic remedy can be a bit more challenging.
Headache and migraine symptoms can vary immensely from person to person and even from headache to headache! Do not fear though! It can be done, and once you find your perfect remedy or remedy combination for your headaches, you won’t have to resort to OTC pain meds and their side effects ever again!
As with all ailments, the key is getting very specific with the symptoms when choosing a Homeopathic remedy. Is it on the right or left side? What does the pain feel like: stabbing, throbbing, squeezing? What makes it better? What makes it worse? Knowing the cause of the headache or migraine can be immensely helpful in some situations.
10 Important Homeopathic Remedies for Headaches and Migraines
These are not in order of importance, since your individual symptom presentation will determine which you will pick. If you can’t decide between 2 or 3 similar remedy pictures, combine them into a combo remedy.
Right-Sided Head Pain:
- Iris versicolor: Choose a 6c or a 200c when you have a right-sided headache or migraine that has an aura, originates from teh cervical bones of the neck, or is worse after vomiting. If it was proceeded by blurry vision, the scalp feels tight, or there is reflux or burning in the throat, this may be a good fit as well.
- Gelsemium: This is another right-sided headache remedy. The pain tends to be band-like and can extend to the ear. They may have droopy eyelids. They may be drowsy. They may feel “out of it” or “dopey.” Causes could be influenza, nervous anticipation, or anxiety. A 30c is a great choice.
Left-Sided Head Pain:
- Kali bichromium: This is my favorite because the only type of headache I used to get was a sinus headache. Kali bi is indicated when there is a sinus headache, sinus pain. It is for left-sided pain or in can be between the eyes. A 30c or 200c will work nicely. Take it every few hours until it is gone. I continue taking it twice per day until the danger of a sinus infection has passed. This remedy has given me 3 years in a row without an annual sinus infection!!
Whole Head Pain or Band Around Head:
- Aconitum napellus: A 200c is a great choice of this remedy if the headache or migraine comes on suddenly, the pain is in the forehead and is like a tight band. Also, if you have vertigo, are chilly, or are trembling, this is a good fit. The headache is worse on rising or shaking the head. Cold air also makes it worse.
- Belladonna 3c: Bella is an excellent pain remedy in general. Think of Belladonna when there is a throbbing or pounding pain. You may have a hot head and even a flushed face. (As with heat or sun stroke). Noise makes it worse, jarring motion makes it worse. It feels better from pressure, tilting the head backward. This remedy is an excellent fit if the headache is accompanied by a viral infection and fever.
- Nux vomica 200c: Since this remedy is well known for ailments that come from over-indulgence, it makes sense that if you have a headache witha hangover, Nux vom is your remedy! There is generally pain all over the head or a frontal headache. the pain is often described as splitting (as if a nail is being driven into the top of the head). Someone who needs Nux vom is generally irritable and may be chilly. They are worse for lying down, noise, and touch. The headache gets better from warmth and pressu
- Coffea 200c: While we are on the subject of overindulgence, this remedy is great for caffeine withdrawl.
- Bryonia: When the slightest motion makes the headache or migraine worse, think of Bryonia. Sometimes just moving the eyes can make it worse!! A 30c should do the trick. A Bryonia headache will typically be frontal and over the left eye, but can extend to the back of the head. It is a splitting pain and there may be vertigo upon movement.
- Arnica montana 3c: Anytime anyone has a head injury, you should give them Arnica! If they have a headache from head trauma, a concussion, or cutting, stabbing pain, this is your remedy. The headache will feel worse when they stoop over. The head may feel sore and achy all over.
- Sanguinaria: Use this in a 6c, 30c or 200c when there is a throbbing, bursting pain that comes on with a viral sickness. An important keynote with this remedy is that pain increases upon waking until noon and then is better in the afternoon. The pain may be worse form motion and better after throwing up or using firm pressure.
Banerji Protocol for Migraines:
- Picric acid 200 mixed with Belladonna 3c every 3 hours
- An alternate option is Ledum 200c mixed with Belladonna 3c, as needed.
Pre-made Combo Remedies for Headaches and Migraines
If you just aren’t sure which to pick, most Homeopathic pharmacies make a headache combo. Here are a few of my favorites:
How to dose Homeopathic Remedies for Headaches and Migraines
As with all acute ailments, it is often necessary to dose more frequently in the beginning. As the symptoms begin to fade or disappear, you can spread out the doses until the symptoms return. With headaches and migraines, generally the sooner you start taking remedies, the better the outcome.
What if my Headaches and Migraines are Chronic?
If you have been getting headaches or migraines with any regularity for over a year, this is a chronic issue. To uncover what your body is trying to tell you with these headaches, you may want to find yourself a Homeopath. There are a myriad of reasons for headache symptoms, and it is helpful to have someone skilled look at your case objectively.
Do you use Homeopathy for your headaches or migraines? Which remedy do you use?