This week we will learn how to use Homeopathy for Diarrhea. We touched on gastro issues in the post, Homeopathy for the “stomach flu” aka gastroenteritis, but I promised to go deeper on each of the possible symptoms.
Whether it is from the “stomach flu” or food poisoning, diarrhea is one of the most inconvenient and uncomfortable acute symptoms I can think of. I believe most people will be happy to know there is a side effect free and gentle way to put a stop to it!
Homeopathy for Diarrhea
- Veratrum album is the go-to remedy for most diarrhea cases. It works wonderfully in a 30c, but you could do a 200c if that is what you have on hand.
- If Veratrum album doesn’t do the trick on its own, you can add Cuprum metallicum 6c. This remedy is great for spasms, and diarrhea can be described as a spasm of the colon in part. You can alternate these two remedies after each toilet trip. This is actually the Banerji Protocol for “Dehli” belly and “Montezuma’s revenge” (aka Traveler’s Diarrhea.)
- Podophylum is another top diarrhea remedy. I like to use it in a 30c.
- If the diarrhea happens to be full of mucous, you may want to look to Aloe Socatrina instead.
- Pulsatilla 30c is generally the remedy for when eating rich foods was the cause for the diarrhea.
- If someone has lost a lot of fluids and is feeling week as a result of diarrhea and vomiting, China is your remedy!
- The best cell salts to add to your choice of the above remedies is Ferrum phos 6x.
- Of course, as discussed in the Food Poisoning post, if the diarrhea (and/or vomiting) is from poisoned food, add Arsenicum album 30 c, or Pyrogenium 200c (especially if it’s from bad meat.) Arsenicum is also useful in the case of diarrhea from a virus.
Dysentery: If you are unfortunate enough to find yourself in this situation, no fear! The Banerji protocol for dysentery is Ipecac 30c mixed with Merc sol 6c ever few hours until improved. Then you can shift to twice per day until well. This protocol also works for someone who has chronic diarrhea. Take it twice per day.
How to dose Homeopathy for Diarrhea
- As always, only take the remedies when you need them.
- If you take a remedy for an acute situation like diarrhea 4 times and there is no shift at all, you have chosen incorrectly.
- Match the frequency of dosing with the intensity of the situation. If you are going to the toilet every few minutes, you need to take the remdy much more frequently than if you are going once or twice per day but the stools are loose and watery. A good rule with diarrhea is after every loose stool, you take a dose.